You say tomato.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups of gluten-free bread, crusts removed, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 pounds roma tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly slivered basil leaves, lightly packed
- 1 cup freshly grated cheese (I used Pecorino Romano)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large pan, add olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is heated, add the cubed bread and stir until coated with oil.
- Continue to cook the bread, tossing frequently for about 5 minutes or until toasty on all sides.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Once the bread is adequately toasted, stir the tomato mixture into the pan and cook together, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat, and add in the basil. Toss to combine.
- Pour mix into a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle liberally cheese.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until the top is browned & the tomatoes are bubbling.
I served this dish warm with a big spinach salad complete with egg, avocado, red onion, gorgonzola crumbles and mustard vinaigrette dressing. Ideal summer supper! Serves approximately 3.