Fall flavor, part two - Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Mushrooms and Onions
This is a super easy one. I picked up a stalk of brussels sprouts at the farmers' market last weekend and decided to just whip them up in the quickest, most flavorful way possible for a quick lunch. Ingredients:
- 2 pounds of brussels sprouts, split lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 container of mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2-3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- dash of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep saute pan, heat half of the butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the sprouts and remaining butter and oil and combine with the mushrooms and onions.
- Cover with a lid and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sprouts should start to turn a brighter green as they cook.
- Keep cooking until the brussel sprouts begin to brown. At this point, add in the balsamic vinegar and stir well.
- Allow the mixture to cook another 2-3 minutes before removing from the heat.
Serves 6. Best served fresh, but will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Just reheat before eating.