Eat your veggies.
Rainy Mondays lead to inventive baking apparently. Inspired by this recipe, I decided to make the most of the weather and procrastinate productively. Figured veggies were the way to go, pairing a plate full of cookies with a Spinach & Caramelized Onion Quesadilla. Or two.
At least I know I got all my veggies in for the day.
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cookies with Walnuts
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup diced zucchini
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or tinfoil. Preheat the over to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 1/4 cup of the butter and brown sugar together in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in the zucchini and toss with the liquid until coated.
- Allow the zucchini to saute until it begins to brown and absorbs most of the liquid. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture over paper towels and blot.
- In a large mixing bowl or mixer, cream together the remaining 3/4 cup of butter and sugar before adding in the egg and lemon zest.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until combined before adding in the zucchini and then folding in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies turn golden brown.
Makes roughly 18-24 cookies. Super light flavor with a hint of lemon. The ultimate summer cookie.