Weeknight dinner #7.
For whatever reason I was craving stuffed peppers on Monday so I set out to make that my meal for the week. I tend to cook for 3-4 days at a time because I have no problem eating the same thing multiple days in a row and frankly, it makes my life a lot easier. Stuffed peppers, however, are not exactly difficult to make but definitely time consuming - be warned.
- 5 peppers (I used a mix of green and orange)
- 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 can, stewed tomatoes
- 1 large can, tomato sauce
- 3 ounces of cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut tops off peppers, remove seeds, and membranes.
- Rinse the peppers under cold water and place them in a large pot, covered with salted water. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let the peppers simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Sauté chopped garlic and onion for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes and then add in the spinach. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat with 1 cup of the tomato and vegetable mixture. Mix well.
- Stuff peppers with the meat mixture and place in a baking dish. Top with cheese and the remaining tomato mixture.
Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes.