Weekend coffee #17.
Wow. This week. I'm still reeling from Wednesday's Golden State Killer announcement, forget everything else that's happening in the news (I kid). We're wrapping up phase one of our renovations, which I'm excited to share once complete. Otherwise, here's a look at what I've been reading:
- New Jersey now has the strongest equal-pay law in the United States. Score one for the Garden State! Sadly, I'm not sure this story went national. But The Situation's engagement is on the CNN homepage. Sigh.
- Speaking of stories that need some amplification, let's take a look at how much if costs to have a baby here versus in the United Kingdom. We continue to lag behind in childbirth and family leave policies.
- This essay on mentoring by Meg Wolitzer. A great reminder to never underestimate the power of your actions, even the very smallest gestures. Her new book "The Female Persuasion" is high on my reading list.
- One of the books from last year's list, "Evicted" by Matthew Desmond is now an exhibit at the National Building Museum in D.C. through mid-May. Not sure I'll have time to get down and see it but its an interesting concept.
- This piece about taking time off from your personal life hit close to home. I think our circles tend to get smaller over time, whether intentional or not. I'm at the point where I prefer hanging out with my dogs to most social events.
- I thought I might be a little young to enter Eileen Fisher territory and yet here we are with this week's jumpsuit pick. Summer is just around the corner and with it, the heat and humidity. Looks so flowy (still not a real word) and comfortable. Who can resist that?
Until next time!