In preparation for my best bud's wedding, I'm trying to watch what I eat. You know more protein, less carbs, more cardio, less burritos - that sort of deal. Plus, hitting up the sushi and martini bars will be so satisfying after depriving myself for a week or two.
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained & diced
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces
- 1/4-1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 head of Boston lettuce (or another broad leafed variety)
- In a Ziploc bag, combine the cornstarch, flour, and brown sugar. Add in the diced tofu and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium to medium high heat depending on your stove top.
- Mix in the tofu and give it a quick stir to distribute the oil. Then as it begins to brown slightly, add in the garlic, mushrooms, and cashews.
- Cook everything together for about 4-5 minutes. Pour in teryaki sauce to taste.
- Let it cook for another 2 minutes until sauce has glazed tofu.
- Wrap up the tofu filling in lettuce leaves and devour.
You can dip in teriyaki sauce if need be. Best consumed day of. Makes 3-4 servings. Adapted from this VegWeb recipe.