Mexican tofu stuffed peppers.
Stuffed peppers are sort of a fail safe in my kitchen. No matter what's going on or how crazy the week may be, it's a good dinner. Last week was just such a week. One of the dogs had surgery, the other was waiting on lab results, I had a crazy rash, the boiler blew, you get the picture.
- 2 large bell peppers, halved and cleaned
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 block of firm tofu, drained, pressed and diced
- 1 cup of black beans
- taco seasoning
- 2 ounces reduced fat cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat the over to 400 degrees F. Arrange your cleaned peppers a small baking dish or pie plate.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium. Once it's shimmery, add the onion and let it cook for about 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the tofu to the onions and mix together with the taco seasoning. Allow the tofu and onions to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix the black beans in with the tofu and onions and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove the mix from the stove and cool for a few minutes.
- Scoop the tofu mixture into the peppers and cover the dish with tinfoil. Bake in your preheated for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes remove the foil and cover the peppers with the grated cheese if you so desire. Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
Serve as a meal or pair half of a pepper with a salad. Save the remaining peppers in the fridge overnight. Makes 2 full servings.