Africa, part three.

Here we are - the final installment. After saying goodbye to the animals, we went back to the Malikana Guesthouse for a night. The following day, the group headed to the airport where a few of our fellow travelers went their own way. Some headed home, others on to new adventures, while the rest of us boarded a flight to Zimbabwe. 

The original name for Victoria Falls was Mosi-oa-Tunya, which translates to the smoke that thunders. True to form, you can see the mist coming from Vic Falls off in the distance as you approach the airport. Landing in Zimbabwe, it's immediately apparent how different the country is from South Africa both politically and culturally. 

After settling in at the Cresta Sprayview, we met up with our guide and went into town. It's not everyday that I get to walk alongside baboons and frankly, I'm fine with that. They are more than a little terrifying up close. From there we stopped by the famed Victoria Falls Hotel before going to the Chinotimba Market and dinner at a local's home. I'll talk more about the dinner in an upcoming recipe post. 

On our last full day of the trip, we got up early to see the Falls. Our guide had us walk out of order for a chance to see some rainbows (which we did) and avoid the crowds (even better). For whatever reason, I've never even been to Niagara Falls before so I don't have a lot of waterfall experience. That said, Victoria Falls is unbelievable. Epic, even. From the Falls we went to see the Big Tree, which is essentially, a Big Tree. 

Once we completed this little tour, our group decided to venture to the bridge. Technically, Victoria Falls is owned by Zambia but the better view is from Zimbabwe. Considered no man's land, the bridge spans the divide between Zimbabwe and Zambia and you can ask at the border for a bridge pass. This entitles you to follow the walkway and see a different perspective, both of the Falls and local life. A lot of Zimbabwe residents use the bridge, either by walking, taking rides or taxi to get to Livingstone, Zambia to shop. 

At this point, our group was soaked and headed back into town. The day ended with a sunset cruise down the Zambezi River, multiple hippo sightings and copious amounts of wine. A high note to end a stellar experience. One more night under the mosquito netting and it was off to the airport to start the trip back home. 

For more on the trip, read part one and part two