While I haven't had a chance to share my 2013 plans quite yet, I have one that's already underway. A soup a week until this spring. The first week's soup was the the chicken chili I shared in my last post. This week's was Kale and Potato Soup with Sausage adopted from Food & Wine Magazine.
- few tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound chicken sausage (Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic in my case)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 1.5 pounds of red skin potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 - 10 oz. bag of kale, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the oil, add in the sausage and cook until browned (roughly 10 minutes). Remove from heat and slice.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook about 5 minutes, stirring to make sure neither burn.
- Pour in the water, broth, and salt and bring the temperature up to boil the soup. Once boiling, add in the sausage, potatoes, and red-pepper and lower to a simmer. Cook, partially covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in the kale and bright the soup back to a simmer. Cook, partially covered for another 6 minutes ( or until the kale and potatoes are tender). Stir in the black pepper.
Makes 6 generous servings. Tastes better the next day.